101 Facebook Apps for Studentsposted by Mark on April 23rd, 2009
No matter what stage of the education process you’re at, there’s a Facebook application that purports to help you. Here are 101 that could theoretically help you get your learn on — or at least divert your attention away from your D-plus average. As with all Facebook apps, there’s no guarantee that they’ll all work properly (in fact, we pretty much guarantee that they WON’T all work properly), but you’re sure to find some that are at least worth a shot.
- The 10-minute SAT Test: Take a simulated SAT test in only 10 minutes.
- GRE GMAT SAT Vocabulary Flashcards: 5,000 words you should know for GMAT, GRE and SAT tests.
- SAT Quest: A series of short games to turn you into an SAT samurai.
Choosing a School:
Narrow Down Your Choices:
- Bible College Directory: A searchable database of accredited bible colleges in North America.
- Check My Campus: An online community that allows college students to share photos and videos of campus life with high school students looking at colleges.
- College Prowler: Research colleges and share your experience with friends.
- College Toolkit: Search for schools, test your college IQ, and see others interested in the same colleges.
- Connect at College: Connect with other Facebook users trying to find a college and those who’ve been to college who can give insight into their school.
- Gradzilla: Uses data from U.S.News & World Report’s listing of best graduate schools and colleges to offer you information on disciplines, location, and school contact information for applying.
- SkoolPool: Talk about colleges with your friends and classmates.
- What College Best Suits Your Personality?: Do you belong at a small or large school? An institute of higher learning or a party school? This quiz will let you know.
- AcceptEdge - College Admissions: Show where you’ve applied, and see where your friends are getting in. Find out your chances of being accepted at hundreds of schools.
- College Admission Predictions: Discover your admissions chances, and compare your stats to other college applicants.
- College: The Numbers: Input your test scores and GPA and see how you compare against other students applying to the same schools as you.
- My College Apps: Track, share and discuss your college application experience.
Paying for School:
- Scholarship Search: Database of more than 2.9 million scholarships.
- Zinch Scholarships: Find scholarships through Zinch.com.
Find a Place to Live:
- Cribs4Students: Search and post for apartments, rooms and sublets near colleges and universities.
- MyNewPlace: Search for an apartment or home, and see what your friends think about the places you like.
- Roomster: Search apartments, roommates and sublets in the US, Canada and the UK.
Find Stuff to Buy:
- iList: A classifieds service allowing you to post a listing and promote it across your Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, FriendFeed, Pownce and Craigslist accounts.
- Marketplace: Marketplace powered by Oodle.com classifieds.
Classes, Majors and Grades:
- CourseTopia: An online tool for helping college students build semester schedules.
- My Courses: Find classes with your friends, and design your ideal class schedule.
- What College Course Fits You Most: Take this quiz to help find the college degree that best fits you.
Choose a Major:
- College Major Quiz: This quiz determines the five best college majors that fit your interests.
- My College Major: This quiz matches your personality with an appropriate college major for you and provides a detailed personality report.
- What Major Should You Choose?: This quiz will help you choose which major you should study in college.
- What Should You Study In College?: Another quiz to help determine what you should major in.
- BookMooch: Swap books with other BookMooch users.
- Cheap Textbooks: This app compares textbook prices at your school and on dozens of websites to find the lowest prices.
- DormTrader: A marketplace to help you find the best prices for textbooks on campus and online.
- School Soup Book Search: Book search and price comparison tool.
- Courses: Check out who’s in your classes, let your friends see your course schedule on your profile and create study groups.
- Courses 2.0: Display your class schedule, look at your friends’ schedules, and see who will be in your classes.
- CampusBuddy Courses: See official grade distributions, rate professors, see who’s in your classes, who lives close to you and who likes hang out where you do.
- Koofers.com: View the current and past grade breakdown and average GPA for every class and professor, review professors and share old tests and study guides.
- Veechi Classes: See grade distribution and enrollment charts and student ratings and reviews for classes and instructors.
- Rate My Professors: Search for, browse and read ratings of professors.
- Rate Teachers: Rate teachers and professors at your high school or college.
- Flashcards: Create virtual flashcards tailored to your subject.
- Make a Quiz!: Create quizzes to test yourself and your study partners.
- Quiz Monster: Prepare for exams by creating quizzes.
- Ask a Teacher: A community of teachers and professors to answer your questions.
- Course Hero: An open online study community for students, teachers and self-learners to publish and view academic resources online: outlines, solutions, study guides, exams, presentations, notes, formula sheets, essays and other works.
- CourseFeed: A virtual classroom with free and open courses from colleges and universities.
- Sclipo: A social learning network to learn, teach and connect with people with common educational interests.
- Supercool School: A social learning network where users participate in live and interactive online classes.
- GoDaddy.com File Folder: Store files online, and share them with your friends on Facebook without worrying about email attachments or inbox storage limits.
- My Documents: Upload your homework, resume, photos or any type of file to share with friends.
- SlideShare: A community for sharing presentations where you can upload your own PowerPoint, OpenOffice, Keynote or PDF files and view presentations shared by others.
- Study Groups: Collaborate with your classmates, and plan out homework for your courses. Create to-do lists, discuss assignments, set up meeting times, work on group projects, prepare for tests and share notes online.
- Box files: Provides 1 GB of free online storage, where you can store files in various formats.
- Calculator: A functional calculator app.
- CiteMe: Formats bibliographic citations in APA, Chicago, Harvard, MLA or Turabian style.
- Dictionary: Use this dictionary like, well, a dictionary.
- DoResearch4me: Put notes or a draft of a term paper into the box, and this service supposedly does the research for you.
- Google Docs: Monitor your Google Docs from within Facebook.
- Google Translate: Get help in language classes with this app that translates Arabic, French, Spanish, German, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Greek, Dutch, Korean, Czech, Croatian, Hebrew, Swedish, Turkish, Thai and more.
- Language Exchange: Connect with language exchange partners teaching more than 70 languages, with lessons managed through your Facebook profile.
- Learn 10: Daily content designed to help you learn one of 20 different languages.
- LibGuides: Access content from your library within Facebook. View research guides related to your courses, chat with reference librarians, or search the library catalog.
- Planetarium: Explore the stars and planets through your web browser.
- Typing Speed Measure your current typing speed, and practice to get faster while competing with friends.
- Vocabulary: An online audio-show that teaches you two words per show.
- Calendar: Your personal calendar and to-do list for facebook. Share all or part of your schedule.
- fbCal: Generates iCalendar (.ics) files of your friends’ birthday and Facebook events for use with iCal, Sunbird, Google Calendar, etc.
- Weekly Schedule: Allows you to post a graphical display of your courses or other weekly activities for all your friends to see.
To Do List:
- Task Master: To-do list manager with color-coded tasks, due dates, sorting, filters and task sharing with friends.
- To Do List: Helps you organize, tag and color-code all of your tasks and errands.
- Graduation Countdown Clock: Count down the days until the big day.
- My Countdowns: Add customizable countdowns/countups to your profile.
- College Rivalries: Support your favorite college teams by taunting your rivals.
- College SuperFans: Show your school spirit by adding your favorite college logo to your Facebook page.
- High School: Represent your high school by adding crews of your friends, following your sports teams and clubs and voting for your friends in class polls.
- High School Teams: Show off your high school teams on Facebook.
- School Pride: Tell your friends why your school/college is #1.
- Eye To Eye: One-on-one video chat with your friends.
- The Greek Community: Add yourself to the local chapter of your fraternity or sorority, put a crest on your profile and network with members around the world.
- Messenger: Connect with your friends through Windows Live Messenger from your Facebook profile.
- MoochSpot: Forgot how much you owe from that last group dinner? MoochSpot helps you and your friends track expenses.
- Party Line: Initiate a conference call, adding voice to social networking.
- Pubs Clubs and Events: Create gatherings and parties to share with your friends.
- Questions: Which of your friends wants to go out tonight? Create a question to find out.
- Twitter: See what your friends are up to on Twitter, right from Facebook.
- What Job Would Suit You Best?: Take this quiz to find out what you should do when you grow up.
- What Profession Do You Really Want?: Try this test to see what job you ought to be applying for.
- What’s Your Ideal Job?: This quiz will tell you if you’re heading in the right direction.
- Captain Resume: Display your resume, objective and skill tags in your profile.
- PortfolioJoe: Send out your portfolio of projects to potential employers, including project descriptions, images, videos and more.
- Professional Profile: Create a professional profile on Facebook. Upload your resume or import your LinkedIn profile.
- Find an Internship: Find an internship through CBCampus.com, powered by CareerBuilder.
- Rate Your Internship: Find out which companies have the best ratings from interns, and rate your internship experience.
- SearchMe Internships: Search internships for winters and summers.
- Arts Jobs: Find job openings in the arts community.
- Jobs: Search thousands of open jobs, directly from employers. Find jobs where your friends work, and see what jobs your friends are interested in.
- Jobs Indeed: Search millions of jobs from thousands of job sites and company career pages, powered by Indeed.com
- Jobster Career Network: Search for jobs, get personalized job alerts based on your career interests and post your resume online.
- The Alumni Project: Find jobs and opportunities, connect with business and career-oriented alumni and share industry knowledge.
- LinkedIn Contacts: View and share your LinkedIn Contacts.
- Professional Profile: Business Networking: Publish a professional profile, and network with others.
Finding a Job:
Choose a Career:
Search for a Job:
Tags: facebook, online research, online resources, social networking