Online Medical Coding Schools
Attending an online medical billing and coding training program gives you the opportunity to work as a liaison between patients and medical professionals, and allows you the flexibility to study where and when you are able to. Medical coding professionals are one of the fastest growing healthcare professions, and online medical billing and coding schools offer relatively short, relatively affordable program options.
A medical coding professional must obtain certification through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). In order to do this you can take one of the many online medical coding programs that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Online Medical Coding Schools Enrolling Now
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
- Career Step
- Professional Medical Coding & Billing - Certificate
- Medical Transcription Editor - Certificate
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
- Keiser University eCampus Online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Health Services Administration
Bryan University Online
Bryan University has a proven track record of successfully preparing graduates for over 70 years. Through hands-on, student-centered learning experiences, coupled with individualized support, Bryan students graduate with practical, productive skills that lead directly to high-demand professional careers. Unlike traditional institutions, Bryan also offers job placement assistance and lifetime refresher courses to ensure its graduates remain competitive for many years to come. Bryan enjoys a position within the higher education spectrum that is unique, respected, enviable and worthy of emulation.
Seize the opportunities in this growing industry.
With an estimated 71,200 job openings through the year 2024, you’ll enjoy the flexibility to choose a career path, such as:
- Certified Medical Biller and Coder – assign codes to patient records using ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codebooks for different diagnoses and medical procedures for in-patient and out-patient settings.
- Medical Office Administrator – responsible to keep the healthcare organization running smoothly and efficiently by directing and coordinating operations.
- Medical Records Technician – work to organize, monitor, update and maintain healthcare providers’ electronic medical records.
- Medical Secretary – maintain medical records, charts, correspondence, case history, reports, and insurance documents, among other duties.
- Insurance Claims Analyst – review insurance policy to determine coverage, prepare insurance claim forms, calculate claim amounts, and transmit claims for payment or further investigation.
Preparing now means you’ll be ready for the jobs of the future.
Diverse Work Settings
With a degree in Medical Billing, Coding and Electronic Health Records, gain the skills to be job-ready. Find yourself working with healthcare organizations such as:
- Ambulatory Care Settings
- Physician Offices
- Health Information Vendors
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Insurance Companies
- Behavioral Health Settings
- College Health Settings
At Bryan University, we give you a clear pathway, so that you’re ready to make your next career move as soon as you graduate. Learn how we put you on the path.
- Associate Degree in Medical Billing, Coding and Electronic Health Records
Charter College Online
Charter College is a private, independent institution of higher education that follows a new direction. Charter College is neither a liberal arts college, a university, nor a vocational school. Instead, Charter College borrows certain elements from each of those respected educational institutions to create a unique and innovative experience for our students.
We offer career training programs in the growing fields of health care, business, the legal field, criminal justice, information technology, and select trade careers. We strive to provide our students with a career-focused education that is both relevant in today’s workspace and cutting-edge in technology and focus.
- Charter College - Oxnard - Online
- Charter College - Fife - Online
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
What are Online Medical Billing and Coding Programs Like?
Once you are enrolled in one of the online medical coding schools available, you will learn how to translate medical diagnoses and procedures into a simple code that is used throughout the healthcare industry to simplify medical records and billing documentation.
Each single visit made by a patient to a medical professional requires correctly coded information. As the demand for quality healthcare continues to grow, so does the demand for medical coding specialists. Online medical coding programs allow you to study courses such as human anatomy and medical terminology used by healthcare professionals, develop an understanding of diagnostic and procedure coding, and learn about the Internet and medical coding software. Once you have graduated from one of the online medical coding programs you have the opportunity to seek a career in many healthcare settings.
Medical Coding Employment Opportunities
As a medical coder you will work in the billing office of a hospital, clinic, or doctor’s office. Your job duties will involve assessing, completing, reviewing and filing medical claims so that insurance companies can reimburse healthcare providers for the goods and services that they provide to patients.
After graduating from one of the online medical coding programs, you will know that each individual medical procedure and patient service is allocated a special CPT code, and each diagnosis also has its own ICD. These numbers enable insurance companies to track and account for the money they use to reimburse healthcare practitioners and prevent errors and fraud in medical insurance claims.
As a medical coder you will be expert at working with numbers and you will have a superior attention to detail. Most of the work will entail administrative tasks involved with reviewing and submitting claims, working with medical coding and billing computer software. You will also occasionally be using your interpersonal skills with medical professionals and other members of staff, when you need to find out further patient information.