Online Medical Assistant Degree Programs
Medical assisting is a growing profession that requires dedication and diligence as well as a relatively flexible time schedule. Taking one of the many available online medical assistant programs allows you the flexibility to study as and when you can, depending on your other commitments. An online course is great for someone who is already working, someone who does not want to move to another location or someone who has family commitments. In many cases, the medical assistant salary rates are higher for those with a degree from an accredited school making online Medical Assistant programs attractive to those looking to advance their careers while keeping their day job or current income.
Search our directory of accredited online medical assistant programs to find the online school that best fits your needs.
Online Medical Assistant Schools Enrolling Now
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
- Keiser University eCampus Online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
- Career Step
- Professional Medical Coding & Billing - Certificate
What do Medical Assistants Do?
As a medical assistant you will be responsible for completing clinical and administrative duties with a healthcare setting such as a physician’s podiatrist’s, chiropractors or ophthalmologist’s office. Students who take one of the many available online Medical Assistant programs, are trained in the fields of psychomotor skills, cognitive thinking, and affective behavior. The program provides entry-level theory in routine clinical office tasks as well as hands-on training. Graduates will have the gained enough knowledge and experience to assist a physician with X-ray procedures, phlebotomy and clinical procedures, such as helping prepare patients for their examination, care and sterilization of instruments, and helping with minor surgical procedures.
While requirements and duties vary from state to state, in general the medical assistant job description consists of:
- scheduling patient appointments
- recording and maintain each patient’s medical history
- measuring vital signs such as blood pressure and temperature
- assisting the physician with examinations
- giving the patient injections or taking blood samples when required
- preparing samples to be sent to the laboratory
- keeping all patient information confidential
How Online Medical Assistant Programs Work
Once you have enrolled and been accepted for one of the many available online medical assistant programs you will log into your online account and select your schedule. You will find most of your course materials online, though you may be required to buy extra textbooks. You can watch online lectures in your own time, complete the course modules and assignments at your own pace and submit each one for assessment once it has been completed. Taking one of the online medical assistant programs will enable you to learn about human anatomy, medical vocabulary, clinical and laboratory procedures, medical computer applications, biology and radiology.
You will also be required to take two externship courses at the end of the online medical assistant program. These usually amount to 160 hours of clinical practice. Students are also required to have a series of vaccinations including: MMR, hepatitis B, two-step TB as well as a tetanus shot within the last decade, and documentation of varicella zoster. These requirements must be met before you start your externship. When you have fulfilled the requirements of one of the medical assistant programs you will be awarded your associates degree.