Choosing one of the many available online dental assistant programs is a flexible and affordable way to join the field of dental assisting. Online dental assistant programs train dental assistants in many of the same procedures and medical subjects as dentists. This enables you to help with dental procedures without needing instruction. Online dental assistant programs provide the training needed to perform the necessary duties without the scheduling commitments of a traditional dental assistant program.
Most dental assistants work in dentists’ offices, though some are employed in physicians’ offices or work for Federal, state or local governments.
Online Dental Assistant Programs Enrolling Now
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
- Keiser University eCampus Online
- Associate of Arts in Health Services Administration
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Fortis Online hybrid medical programs offer students the best of all worlds: the convenience and flexibility of online classes while still enjoying the community and support of a campus setting. Online learning also gives students the opportunity to build valuable computer skills that support success in the workplace. The physical classroom at which the student will complete on-campus coursework is located at a Fortis College or Institute with which our school has a consortium agreement. The specific location of the on-campus classroom is determined in collaboration with the student during the Admissions process.
FORTIS Online proudly supports members of the United States Armed Forces and their spouses. We offer several benefits to service members while pursuing their advanced education programs.
Proud Member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium.
- FORTIS Online - Medical
- Medical Assisting Online
What do Dental Assistants Do?
Online dental assistant programs train dental assistants to work alongside dentists. In general, the dental assistant job description consists of:
- making patients comfortable in the dental chair in preparation for treatments
- sterilizing and maintaining dental equipment and instruments
- handing the instruments to the dentist during the procedures
- conducting laboratory tests and processing x-rays
- advising patients on correct dental hygiene
- maintain up to date records of dental procedures
- scheduling patient appointments
- keeping records of patient billing and payments
How Online Dental Assistant Programs Work
Online dental assistant programs usually offer diplomas, certificates (to add a dental assisting specialization to an existing degree), or associate’s degrees. Most programs last a few months to two years. Programs can generally be found at junior colleges, career colleges and healthcare training institutes. The more advanced the degree, the higher the dental assistant’s salary can be, and the further they can go in the field. Most online dental assistant programs last a few months to two years. All you need to take one of the accredited online dental assistant programs is a computer and an Internet connection.
Online dental assistant programs generally follow the same routine as a traditional course with the added benefits of flexibility, lower cost and greater convenience. Your lectures, assignments and tests will be downloaded and when you have completed them you will email or upload your work to your tutor. Online dental assistant programs can be completed from the comfort of your own home, at your own pace.
You will be able to communicate with your tutors and fellow students via email, bulletin boards, forums and chat rooms. You may also be required to participate in virtual workgroups will other students to develop group projects. You will also work through interactive online tests and quizzes.
Online dental assistant programs have many different presentations and management techniques. Some include lectures by synchronous live video streaming, while others have asynchronous non-live lectures. Whichever type of online program you choose it will hopefully lead to a convenient and pleasurable learning experience.
Also be sure to see: