Online accounting degree programs teach accounting concepts according to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), the standard set of accounting practices for accountants in the US.
Online accounting programs and online accounting degrees are in especially high demand in recent years due to increased financial scrutiny by corporations and the government. Budgeting controls and issues related to finance ethics have led to increased attention on bookkeeping and financial records. This means a strong job market for the fields of finance and risk management.
Online Accounting Programs Teach Real-World Skills
Online accounting degree programs can prepare you to manage the financial resources of firms, organizations and corporate departments. Additionally, you will develop the teamwork, communication and decision-making skills vital for success in any business. Unlike many disciplines, accounting is an exact science, meaning one can become an expert simply by learning all known accounting principles. This separates it from trades such as marketing, where a degree of creativity and personal resourcefulness is needed to succeed. Thus, online accounting degree programs are a great option for business professionals seeking a stable career path.
In online accounting programs, students encounter real-world case studies that require them to utilize what they’ve learned in order to develop a strong economic foundation, as well as ethical, strategic and technological skill sets. They also learn to use accounting tools such as worksheets, ledgers, journals and accounting software.
Online accounting program students may specialize in a specific area of accounting, such as:
- Public Accounting: Independent accounting services for corporations, governments, nonprofits and individuals
- Management Accounting (Controlling): Cost management, tracking, financial analysis and report preparation for purposes of management
- Government and Nonprofit Accounting: Accounting for state and local governments and nonprofit organizations
- Auditing: Reviewing the accounting decisions of others to protect against fraud and other accounting fallacies
- Tax Accounting: Accounting services businesses use for state and Federal tax purposes
Upon graduation, online accounting program students who earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) accounting degree may choose to pursue professional certifications such as:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Online accounting degree programs are available at the associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, and master’s degree (MBA) levels. Explore the online accounting programs below to see which is right for you.
Online Accounting Programs Enrolling Now
Keiser University Graduate School
Grow, lead, succeed – with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession. For over 35 years, Keiser University’s commitment to excellence has led to success for our graduates. Our unique combination of a strong curriculum rich in relevant courses for today’s workforce and our students-first approach provides an outstanding academic experience. Become part of a caring, learning environment, whether online or on campus, led by experienced faculty who bring you real-world challenges and solutions.
- Keiser University Graduate School
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
- Master of Accountancy with concentrations in General Accounting and Forensic Accounting