Online accounting degree programs teach accounting concepts according to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), the standard set of accounting practices for accountants in the US.
Online accounting programs and online accounting degrees are in especially high demand in recent years due to increased financial scrutiny by corporations and the government. Budgeting controls and issues related to finance ethics have led to increased attention on bookkeeping and financial records. This means a strong job market for the fields of finance and risk management.
Online Accounting Programs Teach Real-World Skills
Online accounting degree programs can prepare you to manage the financial resources of firms, organizations and corporate departments. Additionally, you will develop the teamwork, communication and decision-making skills vital for success in any business. Unlike many disciplines, accounting is an exact science, meaning one can become an expert simply by learning all known accounting principles. This separates it from trades such as marketing, where a degree of creativity and personal resourcefulness is needed to succeed. Thus, online accounting degree programs are a great option for business professionals seeking a stable career path.
In online accounting programs, students encounter real-world case studies that require them to utilize what they’ve learned in order to develop a strong economic foundation, as well as ethical, strategic and technological skill sets. They also learn to use accounting tools such as worksheets, ledgers, journals and accounting software.
Online accounting program students may specialize in a specific area of accounting, such as:
- Public Accounting: Independent accounting services for corporations, governments, nonprofits and individuals
- Management Accounting (Controlling): Cost management, tracking, financial analysis and report preparation for purposes of management
- Government and Nonprofit Accounting: Accounting for state and local governments and nonprofit organizations
- Auditing: Reviewing the accounting decisions of others to protect against fraud and other accounting fallacies
- Tax Accounting: Accounting services businesses use for state and Federal tax purposes
Upon graduation, online accounting program students who earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) accounting degree may choose to pursue professional certifications such as:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Online accounting degree programs are available at the associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, and master’s degree (MBA) levels. Explore the online accounting programs below to see which is right for you.
Online Accounting Programs Enrolling Now
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.